Observations working in SFD Mode

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Paul Thacker Regular Member • Posts: 142
Observations working in SFD Mode

Like others, I have had my frustrations with images shot in SFD mode not being, well, finely detailed as promised.

I learned along time ago that the Foveon crew was smarter than me, so I began looking intently at my shooting set up. To make a long story not so long, the loss of detail is the result of camera vibration during the exposure sequence. This reality was recorded over and over in my studio with a concrete floor on a tripod considered by B+H as "heavy duty" and the utmost care in focus and so on... .

Upon further inspection, my ball head had a very slight play at the base, and too, I began to think my "heavy duty" legs at 32mm diameter top tube may not be HD enough. (It wasn't until I sandbagged my tripod legs and center post and added a cable release to the 10' delayed shutter release did I begin to get truly sharp pictures.)

Over the past few days, I have upgraded my legs to 36mm diameter top tube and also replaced my head. The larger tube is much, much more stable and the new head is silky smooth without any play. All this has further improved SFD images.

My only other observation is to use only the number of x3i exposures you need. I am using (3) exposures for the things I am shooting. Using more exposures than necessary will degrade the image via an unnatural reduction in contrast.

PS - Pls don't ask me what equipment I use.

-- hide signature --

Paul Thacker
www.paulthacker.com

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow