3D printing and photography.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 13,223
3D printing and photography.

I've posted this in M4/3s and Nature photography, but I thought it may also be relevant from a "what can technology do for photographers" perspective, so I'm posting it here too.

Beyond my own designs, other things I'd love to see include manufacturers releasing cad files of their camera grips - the rubber grip material found on most DSLRs. Then you could print replacement grips for your camera in whatever colour and material you want. A D800 with dark blue TPU grips? An E-M1 with metallic gold flex-PLA grips. That would be cool.

Other obvious possibilities include:

• Lens caps, and other losable items is an obvious one. Filter holders.

• Customisable cases designed for a specific camera. Eg: A form fitting holster for travel.

• Flash diffusers.

Back on topic, I finished my design (as far as I want to at this stage anyway). Final design includes:

A 3D printable skimmer/ground pod with included storage spots for lens caps, teleconverters, snacks, etc.

A 3D printed gimbal, able to hold an E-M1 + 100-400 (and probably larger cameras).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2926478

^^^ You can download the files and make it yourself here.

A few notes.

Yep. I need a longer Arca plate. Apparently the 100-400 tripod foot is designed assuming a much lighter camera than the E-M1 II.

I still need to design an Arca -Arca adaptor, or similar so that this can be used for macro work. It would benefit having the camera moved forward and up, when using a short lens and the camera tripod mount.

On my prototype the pivot is a touch low. It's been raised on the final design.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow