Upgrade from D5100 or upgrade the lens....?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Calxoddity Regular Member • Posts: 372
Upgrade from D5100 or upgrade the lens....?

Hi, I'm using a d5100 with a quite old sigma 17-70 (I think second gen, no stabilisation) that I originally had on my D40.

Whilst it's been a good walkaround lens, it's getting a bit creaky and I was looking at updating the lens with something that has stabilisation.  The camera itself is fine - never missed a beat.  I'm doing mainly landscape photography with the Sigma plus:

Tamron 70-300 VR - not bad, but not very sharp at long end

Tokina 12-28 - quite versatile

I was looking at the current gen 17-70C or a Nikon 16-80 - is anybody using these on D5100 and getting worthwhile results (ie sharper more consistent images)?

If not, I may reluctantly replace the D5100 with a D5600 or a D7xxxx - and this brings the second question:  what has been the experience of D5100 upgraders - what's been the best path for increased satisfaction for recreational photographers?

Apologies if rambling a bit here - simple decision has become a bit more fuzzy with new AF-P lenses and lack of backward compatibility to D5100.

-- hide signature --

Calxoddity
'Turning up in the oddest places...'

Nikon D40 Nikon D5100 Nikon D5600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow