GX9. Oregon. You get the idea.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joseph K Boston
Joseph K Boston Regular Member • Posts: 243
GX9. Oregon. You get the idea.

Spent the day out and about hiking in the Mt. Hood area. I took the GX9+kit lens, 20mm 1.7, and a Nikon D610 + 24 1.8.
I didn't use the D610. At all. It feels really...clunky now that I've been using the Panny. Anyway. Hiked a total of 8.8 miles, two separate destinations spaced two hours apart. The first destination was Tamanawas Falls, at the base of Mount Hood in a canyon carved through basalt columns. A rule is to never shoot at midday, but due to their location the falls get maybe 90 minutes of direct light during late spring and early summer.

The whole area is situated in a massive basalt lava flow.

The mist from the falls filled the entire cirque, which was certainly refreshing after 2 miles mostly uphill.

I'm no botanist, so I've no idea what this plant is. What I did find amazing was that it was growing out of a massive rockslide that happened last year. I did some climbing to get to this unique perspective.

These little flowers were all over the forest floor, both at the falls and at the next destination, Trillium Lake.

While I was waiting for the light to improve, I pulled off the highway and did a "mini hike" in the White River canyon.  The water was milky white from glacial silt and runoff. The tilt LCD really came in handy for this shot.

No trip to Trillium Lake would be complete without a shot of a Trillium flower. These are EVERYWHERE during the second half of May.

In several places around the lake, a boardwalk traverses the boggy areas. This allows some good opportunities to get close to the ample plant life in the area.

5-axis IBIS + the 20 1.7 performed admirably in shaded conditions and bad light.

I had exhausted my supply of snacks (and I was exhausted as well), so I snapped a few last shots of Mt. Hood at dusk and drove home.

-- hide signature --

Pacific Northwest Wanderer

Joseph K Boston's gear list:Joseph K Boston's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +9 more
Nikon D610 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow