Adapting on A7ii or stay with A7?

Started May 23, 2018 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bobitaly Forum Member • Posts: 90
Adapting on A7ii or stay with A7?

I'm using a small collection of manual focus legacy lenses and a few old Canon EF lenses (28-105 3.5-4.5 USM and 70-210 3.5-4.5 USM) on an A7 mk1. Works fine, apart from a few drawbacks. Among them:

1. a bluish glare in the center of my images from the Tamron 90mm 2.5 macro (rarely)
  2. a tendency to see my battery levels go rapidly down when having the Commlite EF-E adapter on the camera (even in the "off" condition)
  3. difficulty of using manual focus assist on longer focal lengths and shorter object distances (shaky image with e.g. Vivitar 135mm 2.8 CF in close focus, Canon EF 70-210mm and maximum length)
  4. slow and erratic AF on tmy Canon EF lenses in the rare cases I'm trying to use autofocus (not essential, just a "sometimes-nice-to-have")
  5. need to go to higher iso's (1600 and up) under less than optimum lighting condtions, e.g. (semi-)macro without bright sunlight etc.

I'm thinking of upgrading, but my budget is limited. Thus I'm wondering if an A7ii would make a substantial difference with regard to the (small) drawbacks I'm experiencing with my A7 Mk1.

• I know the blue glare problem would be less on the A7ii.
  • Battery drain of the Commlite on the A7ii would probably identical, but could a change of adapter eventually change this?
  • Would my viewfinder image on the A7ii be substantially more stable with longer lenses and/or closer focussing distances?
  • Would autofocus be more useful on the A7ii, or would the difference from my current camera be negligeable?
  • Sensor high iso of the A/ii is identical to the A7 Mk1's; would the ibis of the A7ii be a worthwhile advantage when shooting in subdued light (how many stops?)

Would an upgrade to an A7Rii (faster battery drain, larger files, better evf, better autofocus, better high iso) justify the extra €700,- ?

Or would the only really sensible thing to get rid of these drawbacks be the forking out of an extra €1000,- for the A7iii?

Looking forward to your opinions.

-- hide signature --

bobcom

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow