Just another 100-400 thread

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
Just another 100-400 thread

I am not a nature or birding photographer, although I do pursue those things for fun on occasion. I am a very long time pro who mostly shoots people and products for big corporations. At the end of last year, I purchased an “L”  100-400mm version II, thinking it would come in handy for fun shoots and some small portion of my car work. I tested the lens right after I got it and it seemed excellent, but I didn’t really have much use for it in my work as yet.

Big surprise. On a whim, shooting a very big 3-day corporate event that I’ve done a few times before, I added the 100-400 to my camera case, along with my usual three (16-35, 24-70, 70-200), expecting to try it out a little. Well, using my 5D4, as I fumbled in a minor panic to get a lens out of my case in a great hurry, I literally made the mistake of attaching the 100-400, instead of my standby 70-200, for a series of lightning fast long shots. As I lifted the camera to my eye, I realized my mistake, but it was too late to change, as the action was already taking place.

I shot most of that first day with the 100-400 and my 24-70. When I went back to my office and loaded the files into Lightroom, I was in for a shock. While the 100-400 can’t totally replace my 70-200, it can come close, and give me an extra 200 mm, with almost no penalty in size/weight. Wide open, across the entire focal length range, this lens was bitingly sharp and always in focus, if I did my job of placing the focus points. The first shot I looked at was of a “lecturer” (an engineer), a waist-up viewpoint, beside a lectern, at 370 mm, f/5.6, 1/50 of a second, hand-held,  and I could literally count the pores on the skin of his face. YIKES!

Well, needless to say, this is one heck of a lens, and I’ll be carrying it a lot more often. Am I glad I got it. I’m just sorry that I waited so long to do so.

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow