Why I use Film Sim Bracketing (with images)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Lettermanian
Lettermanian Senior Member • Posts: 1,015
Why I use Film Sim Bracketing (with images)

This is a post on what may for some people be a mundane subject, but is for me one of the reasons why I invested in the Fuji system. I shoot primarily jpegs on family outings, and with a busy family have little time for post-processing afterward. Using Film Simulation Bracketing allows me to get three (or even six) different-looking images from only one or two shots.  I especially appreciate this because I don't necessarily have the creative  "vision" for an image that some photographers have; I usually need an example image to help me "see" what could be possible if I wish to edit the image further.

The X-T20 has two bracketing settings on its drive dial, and three film sims can be set for each bracketing position (BKT1 and BKT2).  So in a matter of a few seconds and only two shutter actuations I can have up to six different images of the same subject. Fuji's drive dial allows one to switch between BKT1 and 2 very quickly, whereas on the X-T2, one has to use the menu to access BKT2 (I believe this is true; correct me if I'm wrong).  I have my BKT1 set to three film sims (Velvia, Chrome and Acros), and my BKT2 is set for exposure bracketing.

Keep in mind that the Film Sim Bracketing function only generates jpegs on the X-T20. If a RAF file is desired one would have to switch the drive dial quickly to "S", with the S setting at RAW or some combination (i.e. RAW + FINE) in the settings menu. I believe the X-T2 has the option to record a RAW file along with jpegs while in Film Sim Bracketing mode (I'm not sure about the X-H1 or X-E3). This is a handy feature to have because one may get a very nice candid shot but would be limited by jpeg quality if further editing is desired. Having the RAW file of the same image would allow for much more extensive pp. I was hoping this feature would be added to the X-T20 in a fw update, but not yet...

The following images are sooc jpegs with no editing, taken with the X-T20 + XC 50-230mm, f4.4 ISO 640 at 1/4 second handheld with lens IS on. These aren't really submitted for c&c as they were quick, candid shots while we were hiking with friends. The sims are Velvia, Chrome and Acros at factory settings. I like all three for different reasons, but particularly the Acros sample. Even though I only have a jpeg, I will tweak that one to taste in Faststone.

Are you a film sim fan too? 

Velvia sim

Chrome sim

Acros sim

Here's a quick edit in Faststone:

Acros sim edited lightly in Faststone

And for fun, a very tight crop to see the limitations of jpeg and handheld IS. Not that anyone would crop this tight anyway, but you can just see the image of the waterfall on my wife's phone

-- hide signature --

"Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways." - Psalm 119:37

Lettermanian's gear list:Lettermanian's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm 50-230mm II +2 more
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow