Struggling with AF joystick from 6D to 5D4

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TyphoonTW
TyphoonTW Senior Member • Posts: 1,365
Struggling with AF joystick from 6D to 5D4

I've used my 6D for many years even for sport, so I learned to live with a single af point. What I would do was to keep the subject in the center, then use back button focus and take photos, doing eventual cropping in post for composition.

I've recently moved to the 5D4, and part of the process for me now goes through the af joystick. I use my thumb to move it around as required before shooting, which gives me the opportunity of getting a better framing and require less cropping.

I'm having an issue, though: I occasionally miss shots due to the time required to move my thumb from the joystick to the af button. This is a movement I'm not "trained" to do after years of having my thumb rest on the af button, but I'm starting to worry that regardless of how much I get used to it I'll always end up missing some shots.

Since it's my first body with an af joystick I'd like to hear what other people do while shooting sports or other situations with fast moving subjects. Do you keep the thumb on the joystick and focus/shoot with the shutter button? Do you move the thumb back and forth between joystick and af button?

-- hide signature --

This is where I write stuff: http://randomibis.wordpress.com/
This is where I upload stuff: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107755637@N06/

TyphoonTW's gear list:TyphoonTW's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow