My LX100 verses M34 and all the rest

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,915
My LX100 verses M34 and all the rest

For some time, I have been heretically wondering if the LX100 is the only camera I really need. This little camera bought cheaply SH for “work duties” has become a firm favourite, it is just a joy to use.

I came across an interesting " political" situation to photograph the other day, but all I had with me was my LX100.

I did what I could with what I had on me and looking at the results later I realised some very heavy cropping was needed to at least one image to bring out a situation where I should have moved closer (afterthought is easy sat at home).

So, I cropped the image hopping for the best. I was quite amazed that it holds up very well viewed at full screen, I can still make out the peoples hair.

This is a set of photographs that I am never going to print large to hang on the wall and will never be viewed on anything but a computer screen. The only hard copies of pictures I make are in the Blurb books I make of certain projects.

This Saturday morning experience leaves me with the question of how much and what camera gear I really need for my end uses. At the wide end it is quite wide enough for most things and cropping gives me a reasonable telephoto effect.

I recently gave this camera to my wife to photograph a concert. She has zero interest in cameras and zero technical knowledge. Again, I had t crop viciously to get some useable shots for her Facebook activities. I was quite amazed here too. Better than what I used to get when I shot Jazz with Tmax 400 at 1600.

Why do I keep my other gear? I guess just for the self-satisfaction of getting good technical results and for the more “extreme lenses like the 7-14 and the 100-300.

But I am left with the question: does impressive technical quality have much importance to most of us in the digital age?

Is that bag full of ILC's and lenses becoming redundant for many of us generalist photographers?

Cropped

From this size shot a few moments earlier.

Martin Barr shot in a small dark club.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow