Remotely controlling a web browser on a HTPC

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,338
Remotely controlling a web browser on a HTPC

So I have a HTPC based on an Intel NUC with i5 and running Manjaro Linux.

I love Kodi as a player for my local media including photos, music and video; I've ripped all of my music and DVDs to a HDD on my network.

However, I'm finding Kodi a PITA for streaming remote streaming video content. Plugins are available for some (not close to all) streaming services. But with constant changes to the servers, DRM and all the rest, they are very fragile and need constant updates, hacks and TLC. Even the YouTube plugin has become a huge PITA.

I don't use these things often but it seems that every time I do, I have to install updates, diagnose problems and more with varying degrees of success. I'm tired of it all.

On the bright side, virtually everything just works with a conventional web browser. I have Firefox and Chrome both installed and working nicely. Clearly, I would be better off using the lowly web browser to play streaming video -- it works with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Comcast and just about everything else.

The only downside, my traditional TV remote (I'm using a Logitech Harmony 650) is not well suited to driving Firefox or Chrome. All I need is a remote that performs said function well.

So far, the best solution I've found is:

https://www.unifiedremote.com/

I've simply installed the server software on my HTPC and the client on my iPhone and Android tablet. It seems workable and a little better than using my wireless keyboard with trackpad (Logitech K400).

But I'm wondering if anyone has discovered anything better?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow