RX10 V - close???

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Enders Shadow Senior Member • Posts: 2,087
Re: RX10 V - close???

CaliforniaDave wrote:

I would never bother to back up one SD card to another when shooting around home, but when doing adventure travel overseas, when I don't want to bring a laptop or other device to make backups while doing long treks or backpacking, being able to backup cards in the camera could be useful.

When backpacking, I don't bring anything to backup memory cards. The small compacts I bring will never have dual slots. I no longer can cope with a heavy pack on multi-day hikes. Every ounce matters. My only safeguard for the cards is a ruggedized case.

I travel light on international trips. No laptop or tablet. If I want to view/edit files, it's done in the camera or on my phone. I use a Western Digital My Passport Pro to backup my memory cards. It weighs about a pound, has 3TB capacity and can do automatic incremental backups. I try to bring enough memory cards to avoid reusing any. So far the backup drive has worked perfectly. I can't see duplicate cards being that practical.

On domestic road trips, I bring a huge kit. But my laptop only has a 500GB SSD. Just the video from the dashcam, GoPro and drone can fill that drive on a typical trip. Again, the My Passport is used to backup the original files and any edits.

Which cameras have you owned that operate at USB 3 speeds through a micro-B connector? Of course you can connect a micro-B connector on a camera to a USB 3 compatible port on a computer, but it will be limited to USB 2 speed if the camera is limited to USB 2 speed.

To be more precise, a USB 3.0 Micro-B connector. My 3+ year old 7D Mark ii offers USB 3.0 (5Gb/sec) as does my 5D Mk iv, and D500. The E-M1 Mk ii and Hero 6 have type C connectors. I rarely backup directly from the camera. At the end of the day, I pull the memory cards and use a card reader.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow