Geotagging problems on Pannys?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
scphoto
scphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,612
Geotagging problems on Pannys?

I had originally posted this issue on the Micro 4/3rds forum, but I didn't get any useful responses. Since my issue is the way most (all?) pannys do geotagging, I decided to post in this forum. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

I've had my new Panny GX9 for a few weeks so I recently setup geotagging via the Panansonic mobile phone app. It appears that most Panasonic cameras (and other brands too) do not have a built in gps chip, but instead use bluetooth pairing with a mobile phone to identify photo location.

I have a Pixel XL (android) mobile phone.

I'm having some problems with getting a consistent pairing of the GX9 with my phone. Is it my phone or is it the camera or is it user error on my part ... or a combination of all of the above.

Here are the problems I'm experiencing:

1. The phone pairs with the camera when I run the app on my mobile phone, but pairing seems inconsistent (sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't) when the app is "running" but is in sleep mode which my phone does automatically after a few minutes of non-use.

2. When the camera goes to sleep, it drops the bluetooth connection and it takes more than a few seconds ... maybe as much as a minute or two ... to re-establish the connection. Any shots I take in that interval are not geotagged. (I know ... I can probably figure out my location from the geotags of previous and post shots, but that's not the point. The point is that geotagging is not working when I'm taking a shot.)

3. I know the app has paired with my phone (because I can control it remotely with my phone), but when I look at my phone's bluetooth connection, I don't see the camera in the list of bluetooth devices on my phone. am I doing something wrong?

4. When I start the app it always asks me for a QR code or cancel. I hit cancel and then it shows that I have connected. Is there a way to stop asking me for this code? It's more of an annoyance than a problem.

5. When the app is on it's home screen and shows my camera as connected, the geotagging function is grayed out and not available. However, before the connection when a red dot shows and "Not Connected" is displayed the Geotagging option is available. I don't get it, what am I doing wrong or misunderstanding?

Sorry about all the questions above, but given how cheap GPS chips are, why aren't they integrated into the Panasonic (and other brand) cameras? My Olympus TG-4 "rugged" camera has built-in GPS ... no mobile phone required. Is it just a cost and battery power issue for the Pannys?

BTW ... I bought the GX9 as a "travel camera" for an upcoming trip. Geotagging is important to me. I may not know where I'm going, but I'd like know where I've been.

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

- Simon

scphoto's gear list:scphoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony RX100 VI Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow