In praise of the 330 HS

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
toomanycanons Forum Pro • Posts: 12,247
In praise of the 330 HS

I know, I know, it's 2018 and the 330 is ancient.  But it seems to have been the pinnacle of Canon's small point and shoot technology.  From the quality of its sensor to the sharpness of its 10x lens, it has it all.  And now I have two.  I went on to ebay yesterday just to see and the first 330 I saw was exactly what I wanted:  original owner, original box, heck, Buy It Now is what I said.  I don't NEED two but from the look of my username that won't stop me from acquiring one more, right?

I shoot full frame and that always involves hours at my desk working on my raws.  There's something liberating about just carrying my 330 and taking snapshots.   And, bonus, I don't have to work on the images.   SOOC is just fine.  To wit:

A wet May day...really wet

Notice the hawk in yonder tree

I've seen this guy here a lot, I think it's a Coopers Hawk.  I went around to the left to get closer to him and his mate flew up to the same perch

Zoomed in, I could see him eyeballing me (as he always does).  I knew he was getting ready to take off.  With my DSLRs I know I could get the moment of takeoff but with the 330, even if I'm focusing right in on him, once he starts his takeoff and I push the shutter, the inevitable delay means he'll be out of the frame when the shutter fires.  Yes, the downside of trying to capture something like this with a point and shoot but I'm not complaining, it is what it is

And, yes, he did take off after I took this shot but all I got was the last of his tail feathers

Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS (IXUS 255 HS)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow