Missing or damaged frames in my 4K recording

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nader Rad
Nader Rad New Member • Posts: 2
Missing or damaged frames in my 4K recording

Hi everyone,
I had a terrible experience in my latest recording, and after spending a lot of time testing different possibilities, I could find the cause. I thought it might be a good idea to share it with everyone.

I’ve started recording in 4K with my 5D Mark IV for the first time, and after all recordings were done and I started editing, I realized that there are some missing or damaged frames in some files.

As it turned out, this problem was caused when I was copying the files from my CF card to my hard drive. For some reason, there was errors in this long process, and Windows doesn’t verify the result to see if it has happened. It doesn’t happen often, and for example, in my tests, the file has small errors only once every ten or twenty times that I copy it. But that’s enough to cause problems.

The solution?
Forget about the copy feature in Windows, and use a third-party software that has a feature to verify the copy. Verification takes time; almost as much as copying does, but it’s really worth it.

Good luck

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow