New E-M1 on the way !

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 6,063
New E-M1 on the way !

Well thanks to all who have discussed options and choices lately with me. I went with the EM1 in the end. Nearly pulled my hair out going back and forth with the GX85 but in the end, the thing that got me was lenses and UI. I was choosing between two portrait lenses, the Oly 45 and the Panny 42.5. I found the 45 for a better deal, which will perform better on the EM1 than GX85.

Another issue was eventually, i know i want the Oly 75mm and it's just gonna work better on the EM1. I also may get the 7artisans 35 f/1.2 and non Panasonic lenses suffer a bit on Panny bodies (no dual IS, no DFD). Finally the UI. Altering settings is easier with a 2x2 switch, where on the GX85 i have to hit a button every time i want to alter my ISO. OVF is much better on the EM1 too.

I should add having PDAF should make the Olympus better for C-AF which can't hurt. The Olympus was a bit more cash overall, i passed up a really good kit on the GX85, new with 12-32 and 45-150 for $599, but in the end, those lenses aren't super useful to me, nor is 4k video. Both great cams but the Olympus was a better fit for my needs (and my first Olympus after having 3 Panny bodies).

Picked up the 45 1.8 to start, when my DSLR trade-in hits on KEH i will choose another, maybe the Panasonic 20. Need to get a grip and USB battery setup too. Excited to test it all out, cheers.

-- hide signature --

"Step forward and meet a new sunrise, A coward is shivering inside
Today I'll be a friend of mine, Who swallows suffering with smile
I drew a different reality, With unconditional loyalty
Ego hardly can be piqued, 'Cause I'm selfless
Scale armour blaze, Virgin innocence
One being brings life, Another runs for death
No promises I ever give, Don't rely on me and I won't deceive
The beginning or the end you can't tell
When I wave my fin and shake my tail
I grew in different normality, With unblamable morality
Hooks and nets are there for me, But I'm skittish
Scale armour blaze, Virgin innocence
One being brings life, Another runs for death
Neptune's child shivering inside, Drowns in the liquid gold
Cherished his life to the underworld, Meet me flashing when winter cries
Pisces swimming through the river, All their life against the stream
Searching for a hook to catch on and see their sun beam
Then suffocate in painful tortures, On cutting tables of callous men
Under a knife of handsome butchers, Emeralds are ripped away..."
- Pisces

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 +3 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow