Warning: ZD150mm F2 No Longer Supported!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tongariro Regular Member • Posts: 390
Warning: ZD150mm F2 No Longer Supported!

A month ago, I replied to another thread here regarding the purchase of a 150mm f2.

My favourite lens ever, and my response reflected this.

Until now.

The last time I used it, it was working perfectly. I pulled it out of my camera cupboard a couple of weeks ago for a special field trip. Onto my E-M1 and it hunted so badly that it would hardly achieve focus at all. When sometimes it did, it was way wrong. So, in case the body was at fault I tested it on my E-3 and E-330 bodies with the same, or even worse results. A gentle clean of the contacts made no difference. Manual focus would not operate either, so it was a brick.

Off to the only Olympus NZ official repair shop in another part of the country. I have found the repair shop very good in the past. They needed to be, but that was another Olympus story. They rang today and said they were unable to repair it. Investigation showed the problem was the circuit board or other electronics. The main Olympus agent for this part of the world is in Australia, and they know the contact well so phoned him. His answer was that the lens was not made in great numbers, not many parts were made, and Olympus are no longer available to supply them.

My repair guy said no charge, and they will send it back to me freight free.

I told him to dump it! Only good for landfill. Parts are unlikely to be available anywhere, and I certainly would not buy another after the support I can expect from Olympus.

Sadly, the old adage that bodies are temporary and lenses are forever, does not hold for that company.

Cheers,

Don

Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow