Renting an SDQ - Questions about sand/watercolor effect

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KrisAK Regular Member • Posts: 367
Renting an SDQ - Questions about sand/watercolor effect

I'd like to re-purchase some form of Foveon (I used to have 2 DP Merrills), and am debating which direction to take.

The lack of a viewfinder is what killed the DPs for me. The SDQ, then, seems like a natural choice, and I've decided to cash in a rental credit on the SDQ and 30mm 1.4 Art.

In reviewing images both here and elsewhere, though, I am still seeing that "ground glass" or sand effect...that's what put me off the Quattro initially...as well as what may or may not be a sort of posterization or watercolor effect.

So, two questions:

1) Can the sand/ground glass effects be avoided or mitigated? Or is it at some point just accepted as part of the tradeoff for the tech (which would be a fair enough answer.)

2) Are there any champions of the SD1 Merrill who would recommend that camera over the Q? Threads here aren't too encouraging regarding getting accurate focus with the SD1 M, etc., and the lack of Live View is a major issue for me.)

Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow