The search for a new camera?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jungleexplorer
jungleexplorer Regular Member • Posts: 369
The search for a new camera?

I have been out of the camera market for a while now. I have taken tens of thousands of shots with my Pentax K-r and DA-L lenses and it is still plugging away faithfully, but I am wanting to upgrade to something newer.

I just don't know where to begin, there are just so many new options out there. I was hoping that some people here could give me some pointers using my usage info as a guideline.

First off, let me tell what I use my DSLR for. I am a nature photography. I do not do much people photography with my DSLR. Most of my shots are very close macros of insects or flowers, or long telephoto shots of things far away. Here are some examples

So obviously, I want my new camera to be better then what I have. I don't think that is going to be hard to do. But I am wondering if I have to even go DSLR to do this. I have been considering going with a one of these newer Megazooms like the PANASONIC LUMIX FZ1000 or a one of the Sony RX models, but I am not sure about the quality or durability of those cameras.  I am not rough on my equipment, but I do go some rough places with it.

My main focus on upgrading is to improve over quality over what I have.  No, I am not rich, so money is an object.  But do want end with equipment that can take photos that are significantly better then a smartphone.  Here are my top priorities.

1. Best Macro performance.

2. Great Long range Telephone performance.

3. Good Low Light performance

Thanks in advance for the advice.

-- hide signature --

If God created it, I take a picture of it.

jungleexplorer's gear list:jungleexplorer's gear list
Pentax K-r
Panasonic FZ1000 Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow