First Milky Way shot with the X-H1 & then a small disaster!

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jim Radcliffe
Jim Radcliffe Forum Pro • Posts: 11,804
First Milky Way shot with the X-H1 & then a small disaster!

Roadtrip to Caprock Canyon, Texas

Left Dallas Friday morning and drove 350 miles to Caprock Canyon to shoot the Milky Way. This shot is one of the first I have worked on after returning Saturday evening. It was taken just outside of Caprock Canyon State Park. The camera used is the Fuji X-H1 with the 12mm Rokinon at f/2, ISO 2500, 25 second exposure.

This was the first time I have used the H1 and the Rokinon for wide field astro photography and could not be more pleased with the results. I have more photos to share with you but after being up for 24 hours straight I have only this one to share at this time.

While shooting the Milky Way with my 16-55mm I had to change the battery on the X-H1. I took the camera off of the tripod, changed the battery and then replaced the camera on the tripod and locked it in..... or so I thought. I went to move the tripod and the X-H1 along with the 16-55mm lens fell from a height of about six feed onto the asphalt shoulder of the road I was shooting the shot below when this occurred.

All I could say was Oh S#1*!!!, Oh S#1*!!!, Oh S#1*!!!.

I picked the camera up off of the asphalt and looked at the front of the lens and saw that the UV filter had shattered, spider-webbed.... Oh S#1*!!!, Oh S#1*!!!, Oh S#1*!!!.... but when I took the filter off the 16-55 there was no damage. On closer inspection of both the camera and the lens there was not a scratch or blemish to be seen anywhere, not a dent, nothing. The camera functions perfectly and so does the lens. What could have been a total disaster... lens and camera broken... did not come to pass.

Talk about Lucky Stars!

I put the 16-55mm back in my bag and began to use the 12mm Rokinon. The shot below was taken with that lens.  BTW the Rokinon is outstanding.

And then this happened....

This is why I always keep a UV filter on my lenses.. This could have been the front element of the 16-55mm.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
Gear is not the answer.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow