Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions thread
Al D Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: Travel Set-Up - What I decided

sullivanrp wrote:

In case anyone was wondering what I ended up doing:

• I rented an X100 to try out. Enjoyed it, a lot. Decided it wasn't worth the $ given its size and IQ next to an A7R III + 35 or 28mm. I like full frame. The sony isn't too large to begin with. If I still had an slr with bigger lenses, I probably would have grabbed the Fuji, though.
  • Bought a Sony 28mm F2
    (recently replaced my 35 2.8 with a 1.4 so looked to minimize redundancy in my kit)
  • Will be taking just the 28mm with me on this trip.
  • Looked for a sling-style bag that could carry just this set-up plus a few other small items. Ruled out Peak Design sling, too large. Ideally wanted a 2-4L capacity to fit this. I bought a North Face Kanga hip pack, and I think it will wear cross-body well after some initial testing. I have two short weekend trips coming up where I'll test the full set-up and see if I need to grab a different bag due to weight distribution/comfort. Trying to avoiding carrying a backpack/larger bag around and leaving all the extra nonsense at the airbnbs.

As always, YMMV. Happy to answer any specific questions regarding 28mm vs 35mm on the Sony, the other bags I looked into, and anything else. After the trip I'll follow up with a few photos I'm sure.

Basically what I travel with.

I've been using an Osprey sling bag with zipped pockets, etc. Multipurpose, like a women's purse but without the make-up kit and better organized? I take it with me everywhere. Small enough to fit under the seat in a plane, yet functional and large enough to hold camera, wallet, phone, travel documents, second battery, memory cards, a filter or two, a small pack of kleenex, pills,... you know, stuff you need to have on you. Daytime walking around, other than the camera, I can take a second lens if I want to, or not, sometimes a travel book, even a small water bottle, a granola bar, etc. Large enough to stuff in a light sweater if I choose (actually pads the camera).

Something like this does the job: https://www.travelonbags.com/anti-theft/anti-theft-classic-cross-body-bucket-bag-1284

I think your choice of lens is a good one for what you want to do. I mostly used this lens on my last trip, my first one with it. Now that I'm back and had a chance to better look at my pics and start processing them I find that the ones I take with my 35 come out better. The 28mm will not replace my small 35 f2.8. Not for size or image quality.

Al D's gear list:Al D's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow