With camera sales so poor overall...more consolidation coming

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pacnwhobbyist Contributing Member • Posts: 641
With camera sales so poor overall...more consolidation coming

Quick breakdown of what I think will happen with the camera brands (more specifically in the prosumer $1000ish and under space).

Canon: Rebel camera offerings will be consolidated. No replacements for the 77D or the T7. T7i and 80D will get one more DSLR replacement before mirrorless offerings take over. G series camera lines will be consolidated. No G5X replacement. G3X replacement still up in the air. G7X III  is a certainty. One more iteration of the G9X. No replacement for the G1X III. No more non-G series Powershots.

Nikon: D3400 will have one more direct DSLR replacement before mirrorless takes over. D5600 will not get a replacement. I don’t think any new high end compacts are coming despite rumors. Focus will be on APSC mirrorless bodies. With the exception of the AW cameras, at most one more Coolpix superzoom and that’s it.

Sony: Will come back with guns a ‘blazin in the APSC realm but this could be at the expense of RX series point and shoots. All non RX cybershots are finished.

Fujifilm: Will discontinue XA line in the US. No enthusiast compacts. XT100 will be a runaway hit and development will consolidate around that camera line.

Olympus: Will get rid of PEN line in favor of developing the EM10. No enthusiast compacts.

Panasonic: No LX10 or FZ2500 replacements. LX100 replacement up in the air. Will just continue on with one MILC model $1k and below.

Ricoh/Pentax: Have already said they working on GR III. No K-70 or K-S2 replacements in the near future, if at all (they were pretty clear in the interview they gave recently about what was in the pipeline).

This prediction list I compiled was weighted heavily by the dismal sales numbers so far this year and especially the continued collapse of the P&S market. This is just MY assessment of what I think will happen. So don’t take it as gospel.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow