A7R3 + FE 24-105 f/4 G @ Thomas Edison National Historic Park

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PTAminolta Regular Member • Posts: 130
A7R3 + FE 24-105 f/4 G @ Thomas Edison National Historic Park

I made a recent migration from the Sony A77, which in combination with the DT 16-50 f/2.8 SSM (effectively 24-75 on the A77), was a fantastic vacation shooting package. I was looking for a similar lens to outfit my A7R3 for casual situations where I had no intention of using a tripod. The 24-105 G was an obvious choice and I was looking forward to the extra reach it provided. Despite a narrower maximum aperture, I thought the additional stabilization capabilities of the A7R3 could make up for it. I was a little concerned that the maximum f/4 aperture would reduce my ability to blur the out-of-focus elements since I do enjoy narrow depth of fields in my shots.

Although the 24-105 G lens is hard to find these days, it has been in stock at Best Buy lately and I was fortunate to receive a copy last week.  Given all the talk about quality issues with Sony lenses, and in particular, the recall of early units of the 24-105 G,  I was worried about the performance of my copy.  Rather than try to set up some controlled testing conditions which can be prone to 'operator' error, I took the lens for some real world testing at Thomas Edison National Historic Park in NJ.

Most shots are full rez and uncropped, so feel free to pixel peep.  I shoot exclusively AF-S, spot.  I recently got a new monitor that displays very saturated colors so hopefully when you view them on your system they don't look too bland.

B&W series follows the color photos.  CC welcome, and thanks for looking.

I hope you enjoy the images.  The lens has performed to my expectations.

Bokeh 1

Bokeh 2

PTAminolta's gear list:PTAminolta's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow