Is it normal for a lens' optical center to not align with the center of the sensor?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
johnsonwong Junior Member • Posts: 35
Is it normal for a lens' optical center to not align with the center of the sensor?

Hi all,

I am using a7ii with FE 24-105 F4. Recently I took a photo with a Hoya ND64 filter. Because the filter is rather thick, it shows vingetting in the top and bottom right hand corners. However, I find it odd that the vingetting is only visible on one side. (Actually I believe that I am seeing the rim of the ND filter. When I switch back to the regular UV filter which had thinner rim, the problem is gone.)

To exaggerate the effect, I put an expodisc in front of the lens and took an image. It also showed that the vignetting is heavier on the right hand side.

Would anyone mind testing their copy to see if this is within design limits or actually my lens is faulty. Thank you!

(Note: a post on Sony Alpha Forum showed softer image on the left hand side. https://www.sonyalphaforum.com/topic/8539-problem-with-24-105mm-f4-g-oss-lens/. While I don't feel that my images are softer on the left hand side, I think the lens' optical center not being aligned with the center of the sensor can be the reason of the softness in the aforementioned post.)

Very dark corners in the top and bottom right corner when a thicker filter is used.

Took a photo with the expodisc, which has very thick rim, and got heavier vignette on the right hand side.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow