Does IBIS help much with wide angle lens'

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kodachromed New Member • Posts: 5
Does IBIS help much with wide angle lens'

I was recently asked to shoot an exhibition space; the interior was dimly lit and unfortunately I wasn't allowed to use a tripod despite bringing one with me. I was using an XT2 body with the XF23mm f2 lens. I set the iso to 3200 and shot at 1/25 at f2.8.  I have to say I was pretty impressed with the how good the sensor is even at this iso,but ideally I'd have preferred to shoot at iso 1600 and f4. However this would have meant handholding the camera at 1/6 sec.

This got me enviously thinking " what if..." about the X-H1 and the 5 stops of image stabilization. But actually could I shoot at 1/6 sec handheld? Checking online it seems the rule-of-thumb regarding speed for handholding is no slower than 1/focal length e.g shooting with the XF23mm f2 (35mm full frame equivalent) I should't shoot slower than 1/35 sec if I want sharp pictures.Some sites suggested using twice the focal length e.g 1/70. Using this rule as a guide does 5 stops of image stabilization let me shoot at 1/2 sec? This would seem pretty unlikely.

So my question is, what does 5 stops of image stabilization actually mean if you were shooting with the XF23mm?  I guess what I am really asking is whether upgrading from the XT2 to X-H1 just to get IBIS has any huge real-world advantage for a lens like the XF23 and similar wide angle lens. If I can get acceptably sharp pics at 1/25 using the XF23 but can't actually go much slower even with IBIS then there doesn't seem much point (leaving aside the obvious advantages of IBIS for video and telephoto lens).

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-H1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow