Small flash for travel. Useful? How to use for this pic?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
canonbcguy Regular Member • Posts: 405
Small flash for travel. Useful? How to use for this pic?

When traveling, the lighting on a subject is usually not within my control.

For example, this pic. The lady food vendor is poorly lit.

Some of my travel cameras (Fuji X-T10) have a pop-up flash, but I don't think that would be effective in this case (very wide angle lens used, 10mm APSC = 15mm equiv).

Nor do I like that on-camera flash "look".  When I use flash, usually I bounce it off the ceiling to soften it, but in this case, there'd be nothing above me to bounce off of.

Would it be useful I carry a small flash that can be triggered wirelessly?

Perhaps put it on a small tripod and set it down on one of those food tray lids pointing up at her?  Flash set to a very low power?

Would such an off-camera flash provide light that is too harsh?  Could one of those small 6-in x 6-in flash diffusers that velcro onto the flash head help?

What else could I do to improve the lighting on the lady?  (Keep in mind that this is a travel situation and I'm not wanting to carry around a lot of stuff.)

If I had such a small flash unit, I'd experiment with it instead of bothering you all.  But all I've got is an SB600 on a Nikon system and I don't have anything to trigger that remotely with.

I'm thinking of getting a Godox TT350F with the XProF wireless trigger if that will help the situation.   Hopefully, those won't feel too heavy in my backpack for the occasional use they will get.

canonbcguy's gear list:canonbcguy's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +36 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow