Does Olympus face detection work for group photos?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chuck221 New Member • Posts: 12
Does Olympus face detection work for group photos?

Hello. I have a family group photo coming up and am trying to decide which focusing technique to use: multiple face detection, auto focus or manual focus.

The camera is an EM-1 and there will be three couples in two rows in the photo. It would be nice to think the camera would do all the work for me, but I have not worked with face detection before and don't know how much to trust it. The problem with automatic focus is that it tends to throw half of your depth of field away since there is no reliable way to focus half way between the two rows. I am comfortable with manual focus as I use it a fair amount, so maybe that is what I will have to do, but would still appreciate any tips on where to focus.

And finally, since the lens will be the 45 f1.8, what aperture would be recommended to make sure both rows are in focus, but that the background, which will be about 20 feet further back, is reasonably blurred. I am willing to give up some background blur to assure all faces are in focus.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow