Upgrade to canon 6dii, Sony A7iii or wait? Locked

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
diness Senior Member • Posts: 2,533
Upgrade to canon 6dii, Sony A7iii or wait?

I currently own a Canon 6d, 17-40f4l and Tamron 24-70 f2.8 G2.  I used to own more lenses but was planning to go to the 24-70 g2 and 70-200 g2, I just haven’t gotten the 70-200 yet.  I am now wondering about upgrading the body as well, for a few main reasons.   1. Better af system.  2.  Higher FPS.  3.  Autofocus in video.    There are other things I would like as well, but these are the main ones.

With the new a7iii I have started to look into Sony a bit and am very impressed.  Af system seems incredible, eye af would be awesome, af in video, 10fps, higher dynamic range.   The biggest problem is lenses.  Sony has a serious lack of affordable, quality zooms and there are very few third party options.   I would probably get the A7iii and the new Tamron 28-75 and then get an adapter to use the 17-40 and probably wait and see if Tamron releases a reasonably priced telephoto zoom

On the other side is the Canon 6dii.  On the one hand it’s clearly outclassed by the A7iii in most ways, but it’s also cheaper and has a wider selection of native lenses.  It also fixes all my main issues.  But, it’s af system is all clumped in the middle, dr is the same or worse and doesn’t have eye af

The other option is to just wait until Canon comes out with its next 6d model or mirrorless  (although I’m not confident either will match the Sony) or wait until Sony gets some more lenses in their system.  The bad part about waiting is that I really like to use video and would love to have af for it.

What are your thoughts?

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow