Tamron 70-200 G2 Focus Breathing vs. Nikon 70-200

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CardoBrit New Member • Posts: 2
Tamron 70-200 G2 Focus Breathing vs. Nikon 70-200

I recently purchased the Tamron 70-200 G2 for its 2.8, and for its price relative to the "equivalent" Nikon 2.8, which is twice the price, to replace my existing Nikon 70-200 F4.

The first thing that struck me is how similar in size (length) the 70-200 2.8 was relative to the F4 - it's definitely thicker and a little bit longer, but not honestly that much larger.

Nikon 70-200 F4 on the top; Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 on the bottom

The next obvious thing to strike me was the weight - it's a solid feeling and just a plain heavy lens. You definitely notice the added bulk when you pick it up.

But all of this was acceptable for me as I wanted better low light capability, without a trade-off on focus speed, for when I shoot my nephews playing hockey (horrible indoor light), basketball, baseball and soccer.

So, while trying things out, I decided to try some photos as a 'test', and the focus breathing proved shocking. At close distances, I'd need to use "DX" mode for the Tamron on the D850 to provide the same field of view as the FX mode on the Nikon. Quite simply, at close distances, the Tamron is only providing about 135mm, not 200mm.

All of the following were taken at 200mm - Tamron on the left; Nikon on the right:

Tamron (L) and Nikon (R) - both using FX mode

Tamron (L) on DX mode and Nikon (R) on FX mode - look almost identical

Tamron (L) and Nikon (R) - both using DX mode

This was a pretty close example... so I backed up and tried a similar test:

Tamron (L) and Nikon (R) - both using FX mode

Tamron (L) on DX mode and Nikon (R) on FX mode - Tamron now shows a closer view

Tamron (L) and Nikon (R) - both using DX mode - closer... but still quite a difference

So now I'm torn... I'm not sure I'm 100% comfortable to sell my Nikon 70-200 F4 for the Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2. I want the extra stop, and I've so far been extremly impressed with the VC on the Tamron - at longer distances, it does a better job than the Nikon.

Has anyone else expierenced this? What did you do? I just don't want to regret hanging onto the Tamron and so I'm considering returning it, selling the F4 and buying the new Nikon 70-200 2.8.

Thanks

CardoBrit's gear list:CardoBrit's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Sony Alpha a7R III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +12 more
Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow