umbrella mystery

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GG Regular Member • Posts: 306
umbrella mystery

I have a little umbrella mystery.

I'm sure it's just my inexperience with them.......

I've had one for a long time,,,, (hardly ever used it).  decided to get a 2nd one.  Same exact brand and model.

this is a two for one type.  You can take the black cover off and use it as a shoot thru if you want.

On the "old" one,, the metal construction, (I have no idea what the parts of an umbrella are called) is on the outside.  So, when you open it as a shoot thru,, the white material is on the inside.  (So,, your model will see the metal,, but you,, standing by the camera will not see the metal).

It makes for a rather flat umbrella.  It looks odd, but I only had the one, so I didn't know any better.

Now,, as I said, I got a 2nd one.  The metal construction is on the inside, (so it's opposite), and your model will only see the white covering), and it makes for a true rounded umbrella shape.  Not "flatish".

It is,, as a person would expect the shape to be for an umbrella.

I took the old one back to the camera store, and he had no explanation.  He opened up two in his store,, and both were the odd type,, with the metal on the outside and the flatish shape it caused.

I thought mine (the old one) was defective, but I guess not.  But, as I said,, he opened up one the same brand as mine, and a different one,, a Kodak.

The umbrella is photogenic eclipse.  I'm not here to complain about the brand or anything of that nature,, I'm just baffled.  As I mentioned, at the camera store,, they opened up one like mine,, and a kodak,, and they were both with the metal on the outside,, and a flatish shape it created for the umbrella.

My new one,, the metal is on the inside,, the white covering goes over it, and it's a true roundish shape you'd expect an umbrella to be.

Any thoughts or insight??

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GG
GG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow