Very disappointed with X-A5

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nathan Chao Regular Member • Posts: 179
Very disappointed with X-A5

I am very disappointed with my mew Fuji X-A5.
I shoot mostly indoor family gatherings and parties so I wanted a wider lens than my 28-55 on my X-E1 and I also wanted an cheap upgrade to 24MP.

I thought I was getting a 22.5mm wide on the new kit . After comparing same shots to my LX5 at 24mm, the captured scene has the same angle of view. So in fact the 15mm end of the Fuji kit is closer to 16mm.

My biggest disappointment came in my indoor party flash shot using both the pop up and an external TTL flash. Comparing the exact same shots with same shutter and aperture (1/30, f5.6) with my Sony RX100 M2 with the same brand external TTL flash, the iso's used by Fuji was 1600 to 3200 compared with Sony at only 200. As a result, the Sony shots at 20MP looked sharper and better than the Fuji at 24MP at the much much higher isos. The exposures which are accurate looked the same.

Either the pop up and the external put out much less power for the Fuji with default flash settings or the ISOs are inflated on the Fuji.

Other questions regarding the Fuji for those interested is that the lens is pretty good for a kit and I had no problems with focus in low light. I did not test focus tracking which is a weal point on the A3 since my photographs do not involve tracking subjects.
The other reason I upgraded from E1 is that my old eyes now need face detection AF which is not present on the E1 and the A5 claims improved face detection over previous models.

Nathan Chao's gear list:Nathan Chao's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F100fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Sony RX100 II Olympus Stylus Tough TG-850 iHS +3 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
JNR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow