Review of the Nikon ES-2 negative and slide scanner

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Picabroad New Member • Posts: 4
Review of the Nikon ES-2 negative and slide scanner

I picked up this accessory last week. Coupled with the D850 it makes a compelling case for getting back into film.
The design and execution of the Nikon ES-2 hardware is simple and appears to be robust.
You can use this attachment handheld and point it out of a window or even in a naturally lit room. As the whole scanning structure is solid and inflexible you can hand hold at almost any speed. I was going handheld as low as 3 seconds with no problems whatsoever.
The huge advantage of the ES-2 is the speed. It took me 50 minutes this morning to take out from their sleeves 121 colour and black and white negatives, scan them and put them back.
I haven't used the Nikon Coolscans in a while, but I'll do a side by side comparison later.If you're not obsessing about absolute quality (the highlights clip and the shadows can be blocked) and colour balance, then the new setup is as probably as good as the old solutions.
I have a fuller review with a few more scans at

http://www.camerachops.com/nikon-es-...gative-copier/

All in all, this is an excellent (and reasonably priced) accessory from Nikon.

-- hide signature --

www.camerachops.com

Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow