GR II wifi ... Ricoh web app makes it easier

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
jon404 Senior Member • Posts: 2,229
GR II wifi ... Ricoh web app makes it easier

EDIT -- will buy Xiao99xiao's app (see thread below, 'I made a native...') when I update iPad to iOS 11. Wish it worked on iOS 10! Anyway, will get it now for my iPhone, which says it is iOS 11. Aha! Works perfectly on Apple 8 IPhone. Wonderful! End of download problems!

Anyway, here's my report on Ricoh's GR Remote...

Like many others, it turns out, I went nuts trying to get Ricoh's Image Sync app to work on my iPad and iPhone. Totally worthless.

Then, I discovered free Ricoh GR Remote... at

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/gr_remote/app/latest/index.html

It is a web-based app, totally different than the Image Sync you download from Apple Store or other places. At top left is the menu icon, and you can select Commander mode to run your GR from your phone... or Viewer mode, which shows you your pix on the camera, then lets you select and transfer to phone or iPad.

To get it working, press and hold the wifi button on the side of the GR II. After a few seconds, a little wifi logo will light up on the camera screen. Then, go into your iPad or iPhone settings and turn on Wifi, selecting the Ricoh signal choice.

That's it. In your browser, start GR Remote. If it doesn't 'see' the camera, press the GR Remote refresh button. Still no luck? Check the camera to make sure the wifi hasn't timed out and turned off. Also, in Viewer mode, it might take a minute or so to display your photos on the camera. Select the photo you want to download, click the arrow. It downloads, and then you have to click on the downloaded photo to save it to your iPad or other device.

All this works well enough. Am very happy that -- for the part of me that takes pictures for a newspaper -- that I can get photos from GR II to iPad, mess with them in Photoshop Express, then add them to my story and send it in.

One caveat. Stick to JPGs with GR Remote! If shooting RAW, forget wifi and just take that SD card to your Mac or PC for serious editing, like Lightroom or whatever you use. On my news side, JPGs are fine... we just want to tell a story and image quality goes meaningless on newsprint anyway.

Hope this helps. And apologies for sounding Apple-centric on this post -- GR Remote works on Android devices also. Have fun! Jon

-- hide signature --

Jonathon Donahue, Tombstone, Arizona Territory

Ricoh GR II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow