Battery Grips...How Many Use Them?

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
Rich Rosen Senior Member • Posts: 2,425
Re: Battery Grips...How Many Use Them?

Carl Maiorino wrote:

With every Nikon DSLR I have ever bought, starting with my D100, I also bought the grips. Generally, within a few months, I ditch the grip as I find them to be uncomfortable and they add bulk to the camera. I pulled the grip off my D800e before the last round of shooting and the camera just feels so much more comfortable in my hand. I probably will not purchase any more battery grips moving forward.

Am I a "lone wolf" or do others feel the same? How many here use the grips and consider them essential?

I’ve also purchased a grip for every camera I’ve owned, if a grip was available. Unlike you however, I find that having a grip has become useful. I admit, that when I first started buying them, it was a status thing. But with the purchase of big heavy lenses, the use of continuous shooting modes; I found a need for the grips.

On a recent trip, I concluded that having grips on my two cameras wasn’t necessary. I needed to limit the weight of my kit, so I chose lenses over grips.  It worked well. So, if you don’t see a need for grips in your photography, don’t buy them. You won’t miss them.

Rich Rosen's gear list:Rich Rosen's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D1X Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yxa
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow