Need a video camera/lens recommendation for filming boardgames

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Need Camera and Lens Recommendation New Member • Posts: 1
Need a video camera/lens recommendation for filming boardgames

Since 2013, I've been filming videos of board wargames on my YouTube channel, Stukajoe. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-SUybRwEo3hUbEE_FHZXDg?view_as=subscriber

During the years, I've used various iPhones (6, 7 and now 8). I currently have iPhone 8 mounted on a Manfrotto 128LP Micro Fluid Head, which, in turn, is mounted on an Imorden 48" ball bearing camera slider. When I slide the camera using the slider, it exhibits heavy micro jiterring that distorts the image and sometimes the lighting even flickers.

I have grown tired of this problem and there appears to be no solution in sight to correct the iPhone's problem (which seems to be it's internal stabilization mechanism that over-reacts). I've tried placing a small magnet on the iPhone, which doesn't work well. Also, I tried various video camera apps (Filmic Pro, etc), with marginal improvement, but still jittery image.

I've been taking a close look at mirrorless cameras, such as the Sony a6300 and a6500. I like the small footprint of these cameras, which doesn't get much in the way of playing the board game when I'm filming. I also like the feature that you can record video clips into a folder in the camera and then transfer the folder with the video clips via wifi to a computer for editing.

I wanted to ask here if you think that the a6300 or a6500 are good choices for this task. Right now, I'm inclined towards the a6500, because of its improved stabilization features and it doesn't heat up like the a6300. I need to know also what lens would you recommend for this type of video. However, if you believe that there are better cameras/lens combos out there in the same price range of these Sony cameras ($1,000 to $1,500 with lens kit), I would also be interested in knowing about them. Thank you all in advance.

José

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6300 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow