GX-9: Only 100 shot battery life ... really?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
scphoto
scphoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,612
GX-9: Only 100 shot battery life ... really?

I bought a new GX-9 few weeks ago. Today was my first long outing with it. I took it to a technology faire in the San Francisco Bay Area (the Makers Faire).

I had fully charged the Panasonic brand battery the night before. I took about 108 shots (full resolution Jpeg + raw) over a period of about 3 hours at which point the battery completely died. I had bought a backup (also an authentic Panasonic battery) so I used that for the remaining dozen or two shots for the day.

I didn't use flash, video, or 4K mode. I haven't setup bluetooth or wifi yet, so I assume those were off. I started the day with a 25mm prime and then, about halfway through, I switched to my 14-140 zoom. Also, after about two hours I switched to EVF only, so the display was shut off.

I've never owned a camera with such a short battery life. In all honesty, it's terrible! The specs say its rated for 260 (CIPA). Well ... 108 shots (without flash or video) is a far cry from 260.

This really only leaves me with two options: return (or re-sell) the camera ... or ... buy a third battery. Since I like the camera and I have already invested in two additional lens and a small external flash, I guess I'll buy the third battery at about $70US. (I don't trust 3rd party lithium ion batteries.)

After this bad experience, I have changed some setting on the camera so that it goes into sleep mode after 1 minute instead of the default 5 minutes. Also, I'll keep the EVF on (and the back panel display off), since I like shooting through the EVF like in the "old days".

Any other suggestions for extending battery life short of constantly turning the camera on/off?

Thanks,

-- hide signature --

- Simon

scphoto's gear list:scphoto's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Olympus Tough TG-4 Sony RX100 VI Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow