Sekonic L-308S not metering speedlights correctly

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
crlogic New Member • Posts: 17
Sekonic L-308S not metering speedlights correctly

I recently purchased a used Sekonic L-308S to meter speedlights outdoors. I find it challenging to look at a tiny screen on the back of my camera in bright sunlight and tell subtle differences in exposure while shooting portraiture.

I have found that the 308 will accurately meter differences in power output of my AD200. Add or remove power and the 308 indicates the appropriate f-stop difference. This has not held true for my Yongnuo YN-568EX or Nikon SB-700.  Both are triggered by Godox X1R-N receivers.

While both speedlights will increase or decrease power appropriately, the 308S never provides an f-stop result of greater than 2.5 for these speedlights.  Use 1/1 power, the 308S indicates f/2.5.  Use 1/4 power, the 308S indicates f/2.5 etc..

While testing indoors, I can clearly tell that the 308S is not reading these speedlights correctly as 1/1 greatly overexposes shots, where I would need 1/128 or 1/64 depending on modifier & distance.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of the Sekonic L-308S not metering these speedlights correctly while it meters an AD200 perfectly?

Here is a test frame taken outdoors using only the AD200 and sunlight.  I metered the sunny side (camera right) then added a little more power on the AD200 side (camera left) in order to determine that the 308S works in certain circumstances.  This scenario was used to test that I could take a first frame and get very close to the desired exposure.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow