Newbie Camera: Pansonic Bridge or G7 or G80 (for photos mainly)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
neilpeeps New Member • Posts: 11
Newbie Camera: Pansonic Bridge or G7 or G80 (for photos mainly)

Hello all.  I have spent weeks researching which camera I should buy my wife.  She has never owned a camera and thinks struggles with basic camera talk, but is a willing learner.  I found the perfect camera for her: Panasonic FZ330 bridge camera.  Went into the shop today and the Panasonic guy offered a Panasonic G7 Kit with 2 lenses for £610, on clearance.

I was totally stumped as it seemed way better idea than the fz330, for both quality and future proofing, in case she does get into photography.   Having opened a basic DSLR (Canon 550D) before and enjoyed it, I thought it would be a great idea for her and also a family camera.  But then, I read that the G80 has IBIS, weather proofing, better shutter etc than the G7...but £610 for the G7 and 2 lenses?!  Now I don't know what to do.

It will be used mostly for taking photos outdoor (forests, landscapes, old buildings etc),  our 2.5-year-old child (perhaps a bit of video), general fun daily shots, but no sports or wildlife (I doubt, anyway).  Money is a bit tight, but I suppose I could save and get the G80  at a later date.

Would you recommend the G7 or G80 considering all the improvements the G80 brings?  Also, would like to get a Prime lens in the future (which I believe doesn't come with stabilisation), so think the G80 with IBIS suits this better?  Any other cameras we should consider over the Panasonic pair?

Any help greatly received.  I'm thinking that the FZ330 is now out of the picture as the small sensor size was always niggling me.

Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow