Long telephoto solution for a lazy and cheap FF shooter?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZodiacPhoto
ZodiacPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
Long telephoto solution for a lazy and cheap FF shooter?

I am looking for the best alternative to 400-600-800mm lens for a FF system. I don't like the price and size/weight of that.

Before, I was shooting with a M4/3 system with PanaLeica 100-400mm (200-800mm FF equivalent FOV).  After adding a Sony FF camera and a few lenses to my arsenal, I am really impressed by the quantum leap in image quality. I am enjoying this system for my wide-angle to moderate telephoto shooting, mostly landscapes and macro.

But on the upcoming summer trip, I expect to see some wildlife / sea life, and I am contemplating a best solution for a long telephoto capability.

1. Rent a 100-400mm Sony zoom. Can't justify buying a $2,500 lens that would be used maybe once or twice a year. But I would hate to lug this thing with me on all the upcoming excursions. Plus, even 400mm could be too short - I will have to consider a 1.4X teleconverter too.

2. Take 2 systems on a trip - both Sony FF and M4/3. That makes sense, but M4/3 camera body and 100-400mm lens, and a 12-60mm lens that I will take to keep the M4/3 system usable, and a second set of batteries and chargers, and a second camera bag, and... you got the idea.

3. Get a Nikon P900. Relatively affordable, great optical reach, but limited IQ from a 1/2.3" sensor and relatively slow aperture lens, especially when the light is less than perfect.

4. Get a Sony RX10 IV or III. A larger 1" sensor, 600mm lens, but pricey.

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
 ZodiacPhoto's gear list:ZodiacPhoto's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha a7R II
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow