6DII disappointing DPAF performance?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jstanley0 New Member • Posts: 5
6DII disappointing DPAF performance?

I've been itching to upgrade my trusty old 60D. Yesterday I went to Best Buy and tried out the new lineup. I was particularly interested in the 6D Mark II, since I figured it'd have a better focus hit rate for kids and pets, continuous autofocus in movie mode, plus better low-light performance (I do a lot of night photography and I frequently push my 60D to ISO 3200 and beyond). In-body timelapse recording sounds pretty awesome too.

I'd read a lot of concerns about the tight spread of AF points - but when I looked through the 6DII's viewfinder, it didn't seem like that big a big deal. The corner points can cover a subject's eye in a vertical portrait. And of course, there's DPAF... right?

Playing with live view was a sore disappointment. It could focus reliably on static subjects, but it didn't feel as fast or responsive as the 77D display model I also played with. And tracking a moving subject just didn't work at all. My wife walked toward me, slowly, in a straight line, and the camera lost tracking and focused off in the corner somewhere. We did another run and the camera didn't do any better.

I'd chalk this up to maybe an abused display model or slow SD card (I didn't think to bring one, but my wife saved the day with the card from the Elph she keeps in her purse)...except this experience aligns with this site's review of the 6DII, which says "attempting to photograph anything moving with Dual Pixel in burst mode on this camera is going to just frustrate you. Surprisingly, this is contrary to the performance we've found on other Dual Pixel cameras, like the 5D Mark IV and EOS 77D, which both perform pretty well in this regard."

I will say I was impressed with how clean the ISO 2500 snapshots turned out. Seems to be a two-stop improvement over my 60D.

I've thought about the 5DIV but (1) at roughly double the price of the 6DII, it's way out of my budget, and (2) I'd have a hard time giving up the 60D's articulated screen. The 5DIV on display was unfortunately not powered, so I couldn't do much with it. I didn't like the feel of its shutter release button, which was squishy and didn't have a tactile half-press response (neither did the Nikon D750 next to it, or the Sony A7 II; is this a pro camera thing?).

For the price of a 6DII body (with current sales), I could get *both* a 6D and a 77D... one camera for low-light landscapes and still portraits, and another one for general daylight people-in-motion/video use... or I suppose I could just get a 77D and a 20mm f/1.4 lens...

jstanley0's gear list:jstanley0's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS M Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II +4 more
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 77D / EOS 9000D Nikon D750 Sony Alpha a7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow