Panasonic 100-400 weak bayonet mount ?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
chas d Regular Member • Posts: 290
Panasonic 100-400 weak bayonet mount ?

Hello

I seem to be making a habit of posting stuff going wrong here and in the N1 forums but my general experience, having used many systems over decades is that cameras and lenses are extremely reliable.

The story is that I got a 100-400 from e-infinity in the UK a week or so ago.  I have been spending time getting used to this and with drj3's posts on another thread, getting it to AF as best as possible on an em1.1

I spent a few hours by the canal yesterday with the lens mounted on the em1.1 and managed to get a few acceptable shots of birdies i.e. gulls after fiddling around with the AF settings.

As i usually do, I carried the body with lens attached between shots.  After the shoot I transferred it onto a G5 and put it back into my backpack.

This morning, I picked up the G5 and heard a slight popping sound and saw that the lens was skew to the body. On inspection, one of the tines on the bayonet had broken off and another was bent.  The fracture surfaces looked like a brittle fracture as far as I could see.

I really don't think that I mishandled this lens and I am at a loss as to why/how this happened.  I have never had any lens mount mechanical failure before after many years experience with heavy SLR C/Y lenses, many Nikon fit long teles and m43 lenses etc.

The lens itself is still working OK but obviously not properly mounted on the camera.

I have checked the tines on the G5 and em1.1 bodies and they look fine and I can mount and use other lenses on them.

Anyone had similar problems?

I have referred this back to e-infinty - suggesting a manufacturing defect.

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow