Upgrading my kit for overseas travel... again!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
gear1box Senior Member • Posts: 1,526
i am committing a sin, but i'd consider Tamron's 18-400

Doc --

The sin i am committing here is that i never recommend options that i have not personally owned or used extensively.   Still, in this case i think that i would recommend at least taking a long look at Tamron's recent 18-400.   All these long-ratio zoom lenses get poorer toward the tele end, but the reviews indicate that this lens is quite sharp up to 300mm . . . so-so beyond the 200mm of your current lens thank-you-very-much.

I am a formerly exclusively Nikkor owner (for more than 4 decades!) that recently acquired two FX Tamrons -- 24-70 f2.8 and 150-600 f6.3 -- and i can tell you two things about recent Tamron designs.   Firstly, their optics and VR (which they call "VC") are first rate.   Seriously, this is very good, modern-designed, glass and the VR is better than any i have used.  Secondly Tamron has really upped their lens-to-lens manufacturing consistency/variability game.  From what i can tell on the internet and my own experience they may be better than Nikon now (if not Canon).

A rather important to me -- maybe not to you -- feature is the compatibility with Tamron's $60 "Tap-In" USB console.   Like Sigma's USB, this lets you adjust the AF micro-adjust by focal length and for three different distances.   Particularly for long ratio zooms this is important even though it means spending  a frustrating afternoon pacing off targets and looking at computer screens.   Seriously though, this feature means that you will actually be able to use all the resolution that you paid for, and the Nikon/Canon one or two point body adjustments are lame by comparison.

Sooner or later Canon and Nikon will offer this; the higher resolution sensors all but demand it.

So this is a serious option; check out the reviews.  I sold my FX Nikon 24-120 f4 and 80-400G F5.6 for my Tamron glass and am glad that i did.

-- hide signature --

gary ray
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810 Olympus E-PL7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow