Nikkor Auto-S 50mm f1,4 (from a venerable Nikon F) & Nikon D3400

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Michel Cojan
OP Michel Cojan Contributing Member • Posts: 673
Re: Nikkor Auto-S 50mm f1,4 (from a venerable Nikon F) & Nikon D3400

Hi RUcrAZ & thanks for your comments.

To answer your (justified) remark : indeed (as specified in my posting) I've been using very high ISOs - in that particular set - for mainly two reasons :

1.) to test the capabilities & output of the sensor at high ISO - and personally I love the «grainy» film look.

2.) if at that high ISO settings the general look is still very good, that speaks - also - about the quality of the glass in front of the sensor. Incidentally, the posted images were shot in very dim (see very bad low light) indoors conditions (800 to 6400 ISO were giving me shutter speeds high enough to not have blurred images, while still using optimal f-stops between 2,8 & 4).

Regards,

MC

RUcrAZ wrote:

I use that very same lens (from a Nikon FTn, 40+ yrs ago) on a Nikon D5100 and D5500. They built "better than they knew," the lens is very fine. Here is an entire as-shot photo, and a crop, that shows its ability.

Incidentally, the photos you posted are at a very high ISO, I don't understand the reason for that; at high ISO numbers the quality of the cam's sensor and electronics may mask the ability of a lens.

The entire frame. 1/160, ISO 125, f-probably 8 or 11.

A crop from the above frame.

Michel Cojan's gear list:Michel Cojan's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D3400 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow