Tough TG-5. No Aperture Control = Lack of Creativity?

Started Jun 27, 2017 | Questions thread
khunpapa
khunpapa Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
Re: Tough TG-5. No Aperture Control = Lack of Creativity?

madra wrote:

If closing down the aperture is simulated via an ND filter, then does that mean that effectively you're shooting at ƒ2 all the time at 25mm and at the corresponding widest aperture for any other focal length?

If so, this would suggest that most shots with a subject close to the camera should have really shallow depth of field yet, in a lot of the sample images I've seen, the depth of field seems to be pretty much what you'd expect from a 'real' aperture at the given setting.

Can someone enlighten me? A semi-fixed aperture with exposure regulated purely by an ND filter would seem to severely limit your opportunities for making creative use of DOF and that's really putting me off what sounds, otherwise, like a very tempting camera.

Though I head the term "crop factor", I have to use it here.

Crop factor is the number that multiply the f/stop of the various sensors to be the equivalent of the FF lens. For the APSC camera, it's 1.5x-1.6x. For Olympus interchangable lens camera, it's 2.0.
For the TG series, the crop factor is 6.5.

The TG's f/2.0 lens while having light capturing ability of f/2.0, has the DOF equivalent to the FF lens that is stopped down to 6.5*2 or f/13.

At the f/13, if you focus at 6 feet away, everything is sharp from 3 feet to infinity. Practically, that means you have no DOF control at all.

>> "If so, this would suggest that most shots with a subject close to the camera should have really shallow depth of field yet, in a lot of the sample images I've seen, the depth of field"

See? With TG's f/2.0, you have no shallow DoF, unless you're very, very close to the subject.

How close?

Inches, not feet.

The physic laws of light behavior dictates that beyond f/11 of the FF lens, the picture will be soft from one of the lens limitation, the diffraction limit.

The higher f number, the more severe DL (= softer picture).

The TG-5 f/2.0 is equivalent to f/13 of the FF lens, thus it's already (a bit) over DL. Physically stopping it down to f/8 would make it equivalents to 6.5*8 or f/52. You'll have nothing crisp in your picture at that equivalent f/stop.

-- hide signature --

Flashes of my Memory.

khunpapa's gear list:khunpapa's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow