Planning a Trip to Boston and Cape Cod in Early June

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
bobkoure
bobkoure Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
Re: Planning a Trip to Boston and Cape Cod in Early June

craiglec10 wrote:

Hi All,

We've headed to Boston/Cape Cod for the first time in early June. Spending 3 Days in Boston staying near the Harbor/Boston Common area. We're then spending 5 days in Cape Cod.

Starting my research efforts now with a few travel guides but does anyone have any tips or great photo areas near these two stops?

For Boston, if you want shots across water, take the 'T' to Aquarium, then look for the 'Harbor Walk' or take the 'T' to Maverick, walk to the water(East Boston, across the harbor from the city proper) . Both are good spots for blue hour / long exposure.

Then there's the Longfellow bridge (we call it the "salt and pepper" bridge as it has these giant finials shaped a bit like shakers.

If you're checking out the bridge, there's a jogger's route that runs all around the Charles River basin. One end is the Museum of Science. The other is any of a number of bridges. My favorite of those is a pedestrian bridge that links Harvard (Cambridge) with Allston. There are some college boat houses (for shells). You'll probably see racing teams practicing and they often go beneath the pedestrian bridge.  That's an opportunity for a long lens. Unlike the car bridges, this one won't shake your tripod when a truck goes by, because, well...

The architecture in Back Bay is interesting. It's all on fill and the building styles changed as the project progressed. I lived on Newbury St at one point.

I do have to warn you about Boston drivers. This is not California, people don't screech to a halt if it looks as though you might cross the street. They won't aim for you but don't assume they're watching you carefully. That's just downtown. It's more like CA when you get out as far as Concord.

I live in an exurb, out further than that.  I used to commute through Boston to Cambridge on a motorcycle, which was kind of a trip.

I can't help with Cape Cod, tend to spend more time on Cape Ann (Rockport / Gloucester) and northwestern Maine

bobkoure's gear list:bobkoure's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 14mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow