Can M50 shoot USB tethered with EOS Utility?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Wayne Larmon Veteran Member • Posts: 9,807
Can M50 shoot USB tethered with EOS Utility?

I have shot tethered with my older 18 megapixel Canon DSLRs using EOS Utility. Now I want to use a Canon camera with a new 24 megapixel sensor. I was at Best Buy just now and was going to get an SL2, being the cheapest, smallest Canon DSLR with the 24 megapixel sensor.

But I saw the M50 there with the new price of $699. I'd rather have an M than any DSLR and I remembered that something was said that the M50 can be tethered. (My M6 can't.)

I've been looking through various reviews and the M50 manual and all I can see is something about using wireless with EOS Utility. I don't know if this is crippled (i.e., can't transfer RAW files.)

Can I use EOS Utility with full functionality with the M50? Meaning can I use everything in EOS Utility that I can do with my older Canon DSLRs? Meaning full live view focusing (manual live view focus at 10x, etc.) and transferring RAW files? With USB because Canon's WiFi support is flaky. (At least it is on my M6.)

I have an M50 sitting boxed up. I don't want to unbox it and test it because Best Buy now charges a 15% restocking free when returning unboxed items. I'd much rather have the M50 than any DSLR, but shooting tethered over USB is non-negotiable.

TIA.

Wayne

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow