Problem acquiring focus

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
cdmazoff
OP cdmazoff Contributing Member • Posts: 661
Re: Problem acquiring focus

CameraCarl wrote:

I think you are simply exceeding the capability of the Canon AF system. Your description of subjects makes it seem that the subject is hard to locate and focus on. Best bird photos are typically made with the sun at your back.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Here are some shots where the AF worked quickly enough for me to get them.. So it will give you an idea of the ability of my setup when it's working!! Problem is it doesn't always work. I'm wondering whether the next step is to upgrade to a Canon camera that autofocuses more quickly.. I never understood that the chip in the camera makes a lot of difference as well. I'm actually a beginner at all of this (going beyond the more or less point and shoot I did with the SX50). Just got the 800D at the end of Feb 2018 and started BIF, and got the Canon 100-400 etc 2 weeks ago.

Yes.. I do tend to shoot at the wrong time of day!!! Here's a snap I got this week, near the end of the day with the sun more or less at my back. It could be crisper.. It is a shot of flying Western Sandpipers. Boy are they difficult. You just see this blur and you pan and pray!!! I do find that some of my shots are on the fuzzy side (at full zoom) and some are totally beyond crisp at full zoom. Must be the light. BTW I do use bump focus.

Handheld, near sunset

Handheld...

-- hide signature --

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37432113@N08/
When I'm not playing birds, I'm shooting my accordion....or is it the other way around?

cdmazoff's gear list:cdmazoff's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow