Adding my First Lens 14mm or 10-24mm?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
TheWhiteDog Regular Member • Posts: 275
Adding my First Lens 14mm or 10-24mm?

Just bought an X-E3 with the 18mm-55mm zoom, now(remembering the Fuji deals out there) I want to add a wideangle. The purist in me says get the 14mm, the practical side says get the 10-24mm zoom. The 14mm is lighter(of course!) and shares the same filter size with the 18-55mm(a Polarizer, one ND and a UV for use in dusty conditions will be the three filters): the 10-24 costs only slightly more than the 14mm, covers a bunch of focal lengths and has OIS. My question: is the 14mm appreciably better optically than the 10-24mm? They both seem to "test" well, but as we know, test numbers aren't everything. The 10-24mm isn't that heavy(3 ounces more than the 18-55mm) and I have both the grip and Lensmate Thumb Grip for the camera, but obviously the 14mm is more convenient. Though the range of the zoom is attractive and handy, the 14mm is well enough wider than the 18-55mm to satisfy on it own I believe. And I do want something "special", something that makes me smile when I view the images. I love feedback from those who have used both! Thank you in advance.

TheWhiteDog's gear list:TheWhiteDog's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow