Phone cameras, "real" cameras, and a fine art photographer...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Phone cameras, "real" cameras, and a fine art photographer...

Dpreview was founded on the idea of comparing cameras, so no surprise that the forums reflect this, in the huge number of "Camera A vs. Camera B" arguments: mirrorless vs. DSLR; FF vs crop; Brand X vs. Brand Y. The one that really seems to get people steamed up is "You could have taken that with a phone camera" - comparing their expensive gear to a phone camera is taken as the most deadly personal insult.

But it seems to me that good photographers are often quite agnostic about gear - using whatever they need to get the shot, and happy to use what is to hand to make great photographs.

As an example, I recently came across the work of a very talented photographer, Irina Rozovsky, an editorial and fine art photographer who has been exhibited at the Met in NY. She seems equally comfortable using an iPhone, a "regular" digital camera, or a large-format view camera. If you want to check out her work, here is one example of her editorial photography that I think anyone would find pretty accessible: a portrait of Australian singer / songwriter Courtney Barnett:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/05/21/the-strange-poignancy-of-courtney-barnetts-minutiae

This photograph is technically excellent, but she has used her technical ability to create a perfectly natural photograph that really captures a moment that expresses something about both subject and photographer - beautiful - what photography is all about!

Sure - photography is about gear, but it's only like 10% about gear. Obsessing about gear in photography is like setting out to write a book by learning calligraphy. There's nothing wrong with collecting cameras, but don't mistake it for photography.

J.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow