Phone cameras, "real" cameras, and a fine art photographer...

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Joe Pineapples II
Joe Pineapples II Senior Member • Posts: 2,433
Phone cameras, "real" cameras, and a fine art photographer...

Dpreview was founded on the idea of comparing cameras, so no surprise that the forums reflect this, in the huge number of "Camera A vs. Camera B" arguments: mirrorless vs. DSLR; FF vs crop; Brand X vs. Brand Y. The one that really seems to get people steamed up is "You could have taken that with a phone camera" - comparing their expensive gear to a phone camera is taken as the most deadly personal insult.

But it seems to me that good photographers are often quite agnostic about gear - using whatever they need to get the shot, and happy to use what is to hand to make great photographs.

As an example, I recently came across the work of a very talented photographer, Irina Rozovsky, an editorial and fine art photographer who has been exhibited at the Met in NY. She seems equally comfortable using an iPhone, a "regular" digital camera, or a large-format view camera. If you want to check out her work, here is one example of her editorial photography that I think anyone would find pretty accessible: a portrait of Australian singer / songwriter Courtney Barnett:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/05/21/the-strange-poignancy-of-courtney-barnetts-minutiae

This photograph is technically excellent, but she has used her technical ability to create a perfectly natural photograph that really captures a moment that expresses something about both subject and photographer - beautiful - what photography is all about!

Sure - photography is about gear, but it's only like 10% about gear. Obsessing about gear in photography is like setting out to write a book by learning calligraphy. There's nothing wrong with collecting cameras, but don't mistake it for photography.

J.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow