X-H1 IBIS doesn't improve stabilisation on IS lenses?

Started May 14, 2018 | Discussions thread
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,861
Re: X-H1 IBIS doesn't improve stabilisation on IS lenses?

Nirurin wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Nirurin wrote:

Ok so, the two lenses i'm thinking of are the telephotos. I own the 50-230ii, which is rated at 3.5 stops, and I've always considered a swap to the 55-200, which is rated at 4.5 stops.

However when I took a look at the X-H1 chart (which I included below), it says that with the X-H1 added together, these lenses only get 3-stops and 4-stops respectively.

I know that when added together, the IBIS takes over 3-axis while the lens deals with the other 2-axis (pitch and yaw).

So I'm confused as to why adding IBIS, which takes a 3-axis lens to 5-axis in total, ends up losing half a stop in stabilisation... wouldn't it then be better just to turn IBIS off for these lenses? Or shoot on an XT-2 instead?

Seems like there's something odd there, so I thought I'd ask those who might have experience with it!

Think about the old Jerry Lee Lewis song - "too much a shaking going on. "

With OIS lenses and IBIS you have two independent control processing ongoing. At some point the control noise from each will impact the over all performance. This is to be expected. With the better lenses - XF80 and XF50-140 it maintains 5 stops I expect the OIS is much better designed than on the less expensive lenses.

So I don't find this table surprising all all. I would be surprised if it were any different.

In which case, is there an option to turn IBIS off on the X-H1? As the IBIS actually causes photos to be -worse- on those lenses!

Yes - it's in the manual.  There are three settings, off, shooting only and continuous.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow