X-H1 IBIS doesn't improve stabilisation on IS lenses?

Started May 14, 2018 | Discussions thread
atoniolin
atoniolin Regular Member • Posts: 387
Re: X-H1 IBIS doesn't improve stabilisation on IS lenses?

Nirurin wrote:

Ok so, the two lenses i'm thinking of are the telephotos. I own the 50-230ii, which is rated at 3.5 stops, and I've always considered a swap to the 55-200, which is rated at 4.5 stops.

However when I took a look at the X-H1 chart (which I included below), it says that with the X-H1 added together, these lenses only get 3-stops and 4-stops respectively.

I know that when added together, the IBIS takes over 3-axis while the lens deals with the other 2-axis (pitch and yaw).

So I'm confused as to why adding IBIS, which takes a 3-axis lens to 5-axis in total, ends up losing half a stop in stabilisation... wouldn't it then be better just to turn IBIS off for these lenses? Or shoot on an XT-2 instead?

Seems like there's something odd there, so I thought I'd ask those who might have experience with it!

Hi, I think it has to do with the smaller circle of confusion found on zooms. I've seen discussions which describe some lenses like the XF 10-24 as having smaller circles of confusion,. Hence, I imagine that the sensor has a smaller area to move about and not move outside the circle of confusion?

-- hide signature --

FUJI!
Hey, I actually take photos too!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139094988@N07/
Est Dec 2017.

atoniolin's gear list:atoniolin's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow